Modesto Employment Discrimination Experts
At Rancaño Law we help the victims of unscrupulous employer that discriminate against a disabled worker. Disability discrimination means treating individuals differently in employment because of their disability or perceived disability.
Some examples of disability discrimination may include:
- Discriminating on the basis of physical or mental disability in various aspects of employment, including: recruitment, firing, hiring, training, job assignments, promotions, pay, benefits, lay off, leave and other discriminatory employment related practices.
- Harassing an employee on the basis of his or her disability.
- Asking job applicants questions about their past or current medical conditions, or requiring job applicants to take medical exams.
- Creating or maintaining a workplace that includes substantial physical barriers to the movement of people with physical disabilities.
- Refusing to provide a reasonable accommodation to employees with physical or mental disability that would allow them to work.
If any of these things have happened to you on the job, you may have suffered disability discrimination. If you have a disability and are qualified to do a job, there are federal and state laws protecting you from job discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of your disability.
THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment of 2008 makes it illegal for private employers, state and local governments, employment agencies, and labor unions from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, job training, and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.
Sections of the ADA not relating to employment address discrimination by governmental agencies and in public accommodations.
THE CALIFORNIA FAIR EMPLOYMENT & HOUSING ACT
The California Fair Employment and Housing Act makes it illegal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (e.g. history of cancer), marital status, sex, or sexual orientation.
Federal Vs. State Law. Understanding The Difference
California anti-discrimination law is often written or interpreted more broadly than federal law, especially in the areas of disability discrimination and sexual harassment.
Unlike federal law, coworkers who are not supervisors can be sued and held personally responsible for unlawful workplace harassment.
State law on disability discrimination differs in several ways from the federal Americans with Disabilities Act. The state law has:
- Broader definitions of physical disability.
- No requirement for a substantial limitation on a major life activity (a limitation is enough).
- Limitation is determined without considering mitigating measures.
For years, Rancaño Law has provided support to potential clients advising them how best to protect their rights. Many employees incorrectly assume they know their rights because of something read on the Internet or the advice of friends.
Only an experienced lawyer, familiar not only with the law, but knowledgeable in how the law would be applied to a particular fact situation, can provide the most helpful advice. At Rancaño & Rancaño we have that knowledge and experience.
If you are the victim of workplace discrimination, your well-being and your rights are our first priority.
At Rancaño Law, with offices in Modesto, Stockton, and Sacramento, we bring more than 20 years of experience representing victims of employment discrimination.
Our firm has successfully represented and fought for clients in numerous cases throughout the greater Modesto area.
YOU MUST ACT IMMEDIATELY
People who seek representations early on in their claim have the best outcomes. Call us for a free consultation immediately if you have been the victim of Employment Discrimination in Modesto.
Have You Been The Victim Of Employment Discrimination?
We will fight to ensure that you receive full and just compensation for your losses. And we will go to trial to take on major corporations and insurance companies if necessary. Let us take care of every detail of your claim, so you can concentrate on the most important part – your recovery.